× General discussion

8 months 1 week ago #4445 by Robyn Lockhart

Paddy Delaney wrote: LOve the debate but we are using code-free code to have to change this because we do not like 'Karma' as a word will not be good 'Karma' as we will have to spend hours of coding to change something that most people would be happy with and would question why I did not rather focus on making Xmas better and getting S2T out ...that is better Karma I think ...whatever we change it to will make another bunch of members not happy and we will go full circle and return back to Karma

I wondered that actually paddy which is why I wasn't pushing hard for it just making it clear that it doesn't feel right as it is. Perhaps in FAQ about Karma, we could give our definition and/or a new word for it and some explanation of its intention and meaning on here, acknowledging our "wrong" use of the word. The problem mainly stems from the fact it can be used negatively against a particular post which accumulates against the person not the post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwianne, Kapil Arn, Dennis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 months 1 week ago #4442 by wayne kemp
good call Paddy ,xmas is so close ,and we all want to hear jingle bells .thats good karma .

8 months 1 week ago #4441 by Paddy Delaney
LOve the debate but we are using code-free code to have to change this because we do not like 'Karma' as a word will not be good 'Karma' as we will have to spend hours of coding to change something that most people would be happy with and would question why I did not rather focus on making Xmas better and getting S2T out ...that is better Karma I think ...whatever we change it to will make another bunch of members not happy and we will go full circle and return back to Karma
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angela, Kiwianne, Kapil Arn, Robyn Lockhart

8 months 1 week ago #4438 by wayne kemp
everyone wants good karma ,thats an excepted thing in the western society (and yes its been wrongly used ) .and no one wants bad karma ,so it makes people be good, on this forum .love is a personal thing which a lot of people don't want to share as it can be stopped or made in a split second and there is nothing worse than a broken heart ,i personally don't think its appropriate for a forum .i like cool ,and then maybe after 100 cool's COOLEST
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kapil Arn

8 months 1 week ago #4425 by Kapil Arn
Yes Robyn.
'Giving Karma' is impossible. Its a contradiction in terms.
A bit like saying I give U digestion....

8 months 1 week ago #4423 by Robyn Lockhart
yes kapil i feel the word is being used wrong too. its what ive been saying all along in this thread.

8 months 1 week ago #4422 by Kapil Arn
Robyn, from Ur list of suggested names I like RealLove de best.

8 months 1 week ago #4421 by Kapil Arn
I understand the sentiment behind what is being said.
All Im saying is that the word Karma is the wrong word in the context it is being used here.
Im concerned that later when there are many Indian members will be part of this, People whos culture the word karma is part of, they might not be happy by the way we are starting to use it.
I could be easier to change it now to something more appropriate.
Theres a growing sensitivity around the world of people taking exception to the way some of their culture is being bastardized by a different culture.
See for example the reversal of place names of towns that have been bastardized by colonial exploiters because they where unable to pronounce indigenous words properly. Like Burma to Myanmar, Ceylon to Shree Lanka, Philippines to Maharlika etc.
I suggest that we simply use the word LOVE. Seeing that this is actually what ppl seem to mean when we say here Karma.
Iz almost as if wer afraid to use that beautiful word.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwianne, Robyn Lockhart

8 months 1 week ago #4418 by Robyn Lockhart
I get what both kapil and angela are saying here - seeing all aspects is a blessing and a curse at times lol.
This is the sort of thing I was meaning when I started this thread. I feel the way we are reacting to a post with what we are calling karma here (but it reflects on the person not the post) makes karma the wrong word. I tend to equate karma and love yet as kapil said we can give love but the action of giving it is the karma, I get his distinction, and agree angela the giving of love can appear"good or "bad" - like shakespeare said nothing is good nor bad but thinking makes it so.
I would like to think we could change the word karma yet do not know what word would be best to replace it. Suggestions warm fuzzies. love light or perhaps RealLove, RealKarma, VidaLove or VidaKarma, then we can let it mean whatever we like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwianne, Kapil Arn

8 months 1 week ago #4403 by Angela

When a Father or mother takes away something from a child who is being naughty, to show him there are consequences to their actions, is this not a
act of love? When our heavenly father who has created everything , tries to teach us that for every action there is a reaction so that we might learn to live in a more loving way, for our own benefit, is this not love?

Have we come to a point where, when we are "punished " or have a tough lesson because of our actions, we think it's not love? It's all love and Karma (or cause and affect) have been created for our own soul's benefit, so that we might learn connect more with our soul's journey.

W
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwianne, onieceg, Kapil Arn, Lee-Ann

8 months 1 week ago #4380 by Kapil Arn
Not wanting to be picky...
Bt I do think the word Karma is not really suitable.
'Karma' and 'Love' are not synonymous at all.
The word Karma simply means 'action' It can be good or bad action. Bt nothing to do with Love.
In the traditional Yogic teachings ( originating in the old Tantra ) it is not possible to give somebody else Karma, good or bad.
We can give Love ( or bananas or whatever ) to somebody. The action of giving is called Karma.
These words have been really bastardized in the west and are used in a completely wrong way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deb Deb, Robyn Lockhart, Dennis

8 months 1 week ago #4313 by Paddy Delaney
There is so much we can do around this ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robyn Lockhart

8 months 1 week ago #4311 by Robyn Lockhart
yes understand that. I feel somehow that karma is a stronger word than love lol even though I thought of it as such. Somehow the negatives not being shown separately is a bit worrisome, just saying. The amount of traffic (notice taken) is not related to specific posts but to the person behind them, and this seems harsh. Can the negative be kept specific to posts, equivalent to unthank you as separate button/running total, and negative karma if you must have it be shown as a separate running total too? I assume you can only do one karma of ether sort per 6 hours and that would at least give us positive ppl a chance to show our love. None of this is urgent, just discussion at this stage.

8 months 1 week ago #4307 by Paddy Delaney
Karma and 'Thank you'' are our equivalent of 'Like's that FB users

8 months 1 week ago #4305 by Robyn Lockhart
I think so positively i cannot conceive using that feature of minus except for a spammer, hacker suspect, or annoying male pesterer. Wow. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

8 months 1 week ago #4293 by Rhonda Bethune
Its meant to be a fun thing for fun loving people.(:-)

8 months 1 week ago #4292 by wayne kemp
hi robyn you can take karma off people as well ,so if someone does a good post they might get 1 karma but if they do a bad post they may loose 2 ,or someone might just not like you .say lah vee.

8 months 1 week ago #4283 by Dennis
It is a good thing we are all in this together. Until now I had no idea this function existed. Still have no idea of why or what is gained by using it.

8 months 1 week ago #4275 by Robyn Lockhart
I was told and/or discovered the ability to give karma (=love) to our team people. I believe we can give out every six hours, and so have found I can do on average at least twice a day. But the totals do not seem to be growing and so I am wondering if this really works. I check most times and it always shows the one I just added.
Is there something I am not getting here? Are the totals erased weekly? Are very few doing this? Even though it shows I added one for someone at the time when I do it again, does it not accumulate if I already karmaed them?
The number of karma I see is less than I would have given over time, sure I don't check everyone all the time there ought to be other people doing this too, and the maths/statistics does not ring true.

If you have not discovered it yet, click on more under a person's profile picture and click on karma. It takes only a few seconds and even if you are on slow connection it is just one automatic screen refresh as it loads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwianne, Barbarella, Kapil Arn, Dennis

Time to create page: 1.894 seconds

Translate

Login

Events

June 2018
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23